war, 1812, prescott, ontario, canada

Prescott & Fort Wellington

Through the late 18th and the first half of the 19th centuries, Prescott was a key transhipment point on the St. Lawrence River transportation system. Along the 200 kilometres between Montreal and Prescott, the river was marked by a series of extensive rapids that posed a major obstruction to vessels traveling west against the current. Because of the rapids, supplies and people destined for Upper Canada traveled to Prescott overland or on small bateaux which could be polled or manhandled up the rapids. Prescott was the eastern terminus for large lake schooners, and later steamers, traveling from Lake Ontario; here cargo was loaded aboard the larger vessels to continue journey west.

With the outbreak of war between Britain and the United States in 1812, Prescott became vulnerable to attack from the south. Its importance as a transhipment centre in the military supply line to Upper Canada was well-known to the Americans. Its location, separated from Ogdensburg, New York by less than a kilometre of water which froze into an ice bridge in the winter, left the town exposed to invasion. In the summer of 1812, the local militia occupied two buildings owned by Major Edward Jessup and erected a stockade around them.  In October, the constructed an advance battery along the river armed with two 9-pounders. In December 1812, Sir George Prevost, commander of the British forces in North America, decided to build defensive works along the river supply route, beginning with the constructions of a blockhouse – subsequently enhanced with the addition of a substantial earthworks – at  Prescott.

Harassment of the frontier towns by American troops  stationed at Ogdensburg threatened the peace of these small towns early in the war. In retaliation for a successful American raid on Brockville in February 1813, Lt. Colonel “red” George Macdonnell, the commander at Prescott, led a combined force of Glengarry Fencibles and regulars across the frozen St. Lawrence River. The destructions of the post at Ogdensburg ended the threat of an attack on Prescott by American troops based in Ogdensburg.

The construction work on Fort Wellington was completed December 1814, the same month that the Treaty of Ghent was signed, officially ending the war. At that time the fort consisted of a substantial log, one-storey, splinter-proof blockhouse enclosed by a casemated earthen redoubt plus several support buildings outside the core defensive work, including the stockade barracks to the west. In the years following the war, Fort Wellington’s garrison was gradually reduced and the blockhouse and earthworks allowed to deteriorate. The fort was finally abandoned in 1833, and eventually rebuilt during the rebellions period in 1837-38. This fort still stands today.

 Prescott et Fort Wellington

Pendant la fin du 18ieme siècle et la première moitié du 19ieme siècle, Prescott était une point important sur le système de transportation; le fleuve St. Laurent. Au long des 200 kilomètres du fleuve St. Laurent entre Montréal et Prescott, il y a beaucoup des rapides qui posent les obstructions pour les navires qui voyageaient à l’ouest, contre la courant. À la cause des rapides les gens et provisions destinées pour haut Canada ont voyagé à Prescott par voie de terre ou par les petits bateaux, qui pourraient être tiré a travers les rapides. Prescott a été la place où les provisions étaient chargées à bord des navires plus grands pour continuer à l'ouest.

À la cause de la guerre entre la Grande Bretagne et les États Unis, Prescott est devenu vulnérable d’attaque du sud. Son importance dans la ligne de transportation au haut Canada était savoir par les Américains. La location du Prescott, à travers Ogdensburg, avec seulement un kilomètre d’eau entre les, rendre la ville exposée à l'invasion. C’était plus dangereux en l’hiver parce que l’eau gelaient. Dans l’été 1812, le milice locale ont occupés deux bâtiments possédés par Major Edward Jessup et ont construire une palissade autour d'eux. En Octobre, ils ont construire un batterie à coté de la rivière avec deux canons de neuf livres. En Décembre 1812, Sir George Prevost, le commandant des forces Britanniques en Amérique du nord, a décidé de construire un blockhaus et remparts du terre au Prescott.

Les soldats Américains stationnée au Ogdensburg ont harcelé les villages en haut Canada et ont menacé la paix. À la cause de ça Lt. Colonel ‘rouge’ George Macdonnell, le commandant à Prescott, a décidé d’attaquer Ogdensburg avec les soldats réguliers et les Glengarry Fencibles. Ils ont marché à travers la rivière gelée. La destruction du fort au Ogdensburg a terminé la menace d'une attaque sur Prescott par les troupes Américains à Ogdensburg.

La construction du Fort Wellington a été complète en Décembre 1814, le même mois que le traité de Ghent a été signé. Pendant les années qui suivirent la guerre, la garnison du Fort-Wellington a été progressivement réduite et le blockhaus et les remparts du terre sont laissés se détériorer. Le fort était abandonné en 1833, mais en les années de la rébellion (1837-1838) le fort a été reconstruit. Ce fort existe encore aujourd’hui. 

© 2013   Created by The Alliance.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service