Crysler's Farm, war, 1812, Canada, cornwall, morrisburg

Cornwall & Area

The Battle of Crysler’s Farm, a National Historic Site at Morrisburg, took place in November 1813. It played a pivotal role in the defence of Montreal and in the independence of Canada as a sovereign state. The day that is remembered for those killed at Crysler’s Farm, November 11th, is the national Day of Remembrance for all who have died in battle while serving in Canada’s armed forces. The site of the battle is now largely under water as a result of the St. Lawrence Seaway project.

 

In early November 1813, an American army of close to 8,000 troops, commanded by Major-General Wilkinson, left Sackets Harbor and slipped down the St Lawrence as part of a two-pronged attack on Montreal to cut Upper Canada off from the rest of the British territories in North America. Wilkinson was followed and harassed by a British corps of observation consisting of about 800 regulars, militia and Mohawk commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Joseph Morrison. Morrison's smaller force, established in a defensive position on John Crysler's farm, was attacked by a contingent of the American army numbering about 4,000.

 

Mohawk from Tyendinaga fought with distinction alongside British regulars, Canadian Fencibles, Canadien Voltigeurs, and Dundas County militia. The hard fought engagement ended with the Americans’ withdrawal from the battlefield. East of Crysler’s Farm, a skirmish at Hoople’s Creek occurred the day before the battle. That same night, knowing that the odds for a victory at Crysler’s Farm were slim to nil, the community of Martintown, in Glengarry, burnt their bridge to help slow down the expected American Army.

 

The morning after the battle, Wilkinson’s flotilla continued en route down river to Cornwall. The residents of the town evacuated while Glengarry and Stormont militia conveyed the depot’s supplies to the base at Coteau-du-Lac. The American army occupied the empty town for several days before a decision was made to suspend the attack on Montreal. The flotilla then sailed up the nearby Salmon River to French Mills (Fort Covington) and set up a winter camp for the Army. Pressure eased only later in February 1814 when the flotilla was scuttled after the Army was ordered to withdraw from the Cornwall area.

 

Glengarry and Stormont militia had special responsibility for the protection of supplies at Cornwall and on the St Lawrence River in the eastern area. In 1812, some members of the Corps of Canadian Voyageurs based at St Regis were also involved in keeping supplies moving from Montreal. Nearby, the historic stone church (ca. 1802) at St Andrew’s served as the area military hospital during the war. It is now preserved as the parish hall. The military history of the three eastern United Counties and their militia units is today preserved by the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders in Cornwall.

 

Williamstown is home to the Sir John Johnson Manor House National Historic Site. In June 1813, Sir John, Superintendent General of the Indian Department, organized an expedition of about two hundred Mohawk from the Montreal area and sixty from Akwesasne, to join the British forces in the defence of Niagara.

 

The Glengarry Light Infantry was mobilized in 1812 as a regular British army battalion and was modelled on the first Glengarry Fencibles, a British highland regiment that had been mobilized twenty years earlier at the beginning of the war with Napoleonic France. Detachments of the 1812 Glengarry Fencibles fought locally at Sackets Harbor, French Mills (Fort Covington), Ogdensburg and Oswego; in many battles of the Niagara campaigns; and in other regions. The original parade ground for the Fencibles, in front of the Bishop’s house (1808), is at the St Raphael’s National Historic Site.

 

In the attack on Ogdensburg, led by his cousin “Red George,” the chaplain, Reverend Alexander Macdonell, of St Raphael’s, was in the battle with his friend, Reverend John Bethune of Williamstown. In the eyes of Canadian military historian, Dr George F G Stanley, Reverend Macdonell (the Big Bishop), is one of Canada’s and Great Britain’s most distinguished military chaplains. He is the only known person to have served in Scotland’s Glengarry Fencibles and in Canada’s Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles.

 

Glengarry County especially remembers the birth of the first Premier of the Province of Ontario (who would later take office, 1867). The Honourable John Sandfield Macdonald was born in St Raphael’s following the Battle of Queenston Heights. He is buried in St Andrew’s cemetery. He was named “John Brock” in memory of the battle’s two heroes: General Sir Isaac Brock and his aide-de-camp John Macdonell; a military officer from Glengarry. Together in battle and in death, they lie beside each other in the Brock Monument near Niagara. A soldier and a politician, Macdonell became the Attorney General of Upper Canada in 1812 (the first person trained-in-Canada and the youngest to hold this position).

Cornwall et Environs

 

La bataille de la ferme Crysler, un lieu historique national en Morrisburg, a passé en novembre, 1813. Cette bataille joue un rôle important dans la défense de Montréal et l’Independence du Canada. La bataille a passé en le 11 novembre, le même jour que le jour national du remembrance pour tous les canadiens qui ont mourir pour protéger ses pays. La location de la bataille est pour le plupart submergé en l’eau à la cause de la voie maritime du st. Laurent.

Dans le début du novembre 1813, un force américaine d’à peu près 8,000 soldats, commandés par Major-Général Wilkinson, a parti Sackets Harbor et navigué le fleuve st. Laurent, un partie d’un attaque avec deux fronts. L’idée d’attaque est de séparé haut Canada du reste des territoires Britanniques en le Nord Amérique. Wilkinson a été suivi par à peu près 800 soldats réguliers, milice et Mohawk commandés par Lt. Colonel Joseph Morrison. Le plus petit force de Morrison, a établi un position défensive on la ferme du John Crysler, et étaient attaquer par à peu près 4,000 Américaines.

Les Mohawks du Tyendinaga ont combattu très bien à côté des réguliers Britanniques, Canadian Fencibles, Voltigeurs Canadien et la milice de comté Dundas. La bataille a terminé avec la retraite des américaines. Est de la ferme Crysler, un escarmouche au ruisseau Hoople’s a passé le jour avant la bataille Crysler. Le même nuit, savant que le chances de victoire au la ferme Crysler étaient très faibles, le communauté en Martintown, dans la comté Glengarry, brûlé leur pont pour aider à ralentir l'armée américaine.

Le matin après la bataille, la flottille de Wilkinson a continu naviguer vers Cornwall. Les peuples de la ville ont évacué pendant que les milices de Glengarry et Stormont apportaient les provisions du dépôt à la base en Coteau-du-Lac. L’armée Américaine ont occupé le ville vide pour quelque jours avant de décidé de délai l’attaque sur Montréal. Puis la flottille a navigué à French Mills (Fort Covington) et restaient là pour l’hiver. En février 1814, l’armée était commandée de départir Cornwall.  

Les milices Glengarry et Stormont avaient une responsabilité importante de protégé les provisions en Cornwall et la région est du de la fleuve st. Laurent. En 1812, quelques membres des Canadian Voyageurs protégeaient les provisions sur la rivière entre Montréal et Cornwall. Tout près, l’église St Andrew’s (1802) était utiliser comme un hôpital militaire pendant la guerre. Il est maintenant conservé comme un manoir paroisse. L'histoire militaire des trois comtés et de leurs milices est aujourd'hui conservée par les Highlanders de Stormont, Dundas et Glengarry, à Cornwall.

Willamstown est la location de le Sir John Johnson maison, lieu historique.  En juin 1813, Sir John, directeur général de la département Indien, a organisé une expédition d’à peu près 200 Mohawk et 60 Akwesasne, de joindre les forces britanniques pour la défense du Niagara.    

Le Glengarry Light Infantry a été mobiliser en 1812, un régiment des soldats britanniques réguliers, inspiraient par les Glengarry Fencibles, un régiment britannique mobilisé au début de la guerre contre Napoléon. Membres des 1812 Glengarry ont combattu à Sackets Harbor, French Mills (Fort Covington), Ogdensburg et Oswego; beaucoup des batailles dans le région Niagara; et dans les autres régions. Le terrain de manœuvre original pour les Glengarry, devant le maison Biship (1808), est aujourd’hui St Raphael’s lieu historique.

Pendant l’attaque sur Ogdensburg, commandait par son cousin ‘rouge George’, l’aumônier, révérend Alexander Macdonell, du St Raphael’s, a été dans la bataille avec son ami, révérend John Bethune du Williamstown. Selon l’historien Dr George F G Stanely, révérend Macdonell (le grand évêque) est l’un des plus distingués aumôniers militaires du Canada et Grande-Bretagne. Il est le seul person connu qui a servi avec les Glengarry Fencibles d’Écosse et aussi les Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles en Canada.

Le comté Glengarry se souvient la naissance du premier Premier ministre de la province de l’Ontario (dans l’office en 1867). L’honorable John Sandfield Macdonald a été née dans St Raphael’s après la bataille du Queenston Heights. Il est enterré dans le cimetière de St. Andrew. Il était nommé ‘John Brock’ après les deux héros de la bataille; général Sir Issac Brock et son aide-de-camp John Macdonell; un officier militaire du Glengarry. Ensemble en bataille et aussi en la mort, ils sont enterrés à côté de l’autre dans le monument Brock proche de Niagra. Un soldat et aussi un politicien, Macdonell est devenu procureur général de haut Canada en 1812 (le plus jeune procureur général à lépoque).   

 

© 2013   Created by The Alliance.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service