Several people have expressed interest in either tracing their roots or connecting with descendants of War of 1812 veterans. 

• Are you a descendant of a War of 1812 veteran or family affected by the conflict? 
  • Do you have suggestions for those tracing their roots?

Please let us know below.

Tags: 1812, descendants, of, war

Views: 1316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have 5 ancestors who fought on the American side during the War of 1812 and am a member of the General Society of the War of 1812.  Membership in either the United States Daughters of the War of 1812 or for men, the General Society of the War of 1812 is a way to honor ones ancestor, to keep the memory of those who served in the War of 1812 bright and to promote the history and heritage of the War of 1812.  I would suggest those of you who have ancestors who served in the war consider joining either the Daughters  or the General Society of the War of 1812.  Their respective web sites can easily be found on the internet.

Bob 

Thanks, Robert!

One of my hobbies is genealogy in the pursuit of which I have accumulated a few resources.  My ancestral relative was James Prendergast of the 100th Regiment of Foot who was seconded to the Canadian Voltigeurs and was at the Battle of Crysler's Farm among other actions.

I would be happy to help with questions regarding the war and genealogy.

Ron

Thanks, Ron!

Hi. I am a descendant of Colonel John Thorne Weyland, born in 1789,  joined the military at age 17. He served with the British Army's 8th. Kings Own Regiment as a major at Queenston Heights under General Sir Isaac Brock in the 1812 War, and took part in the battles on Lundy's Lane and Crysler's Farm. He was wounded in action 06 June 1813 at the battle of Stoney Creek. My grandmother and I have searched and searched for his grave site. We have found documentation of his eldest daughter being buried in Welland Country (old township of Stamford).

I am curious as to whether anyone know any genelogical ties/has come acorss any information on him? thanks.

Hello Brittany,

This is great to have but there are a few errors.  John Thorne Weyland was commissioned as an ensign in the 53rd Regiment of Foot on June 30, 1806 and purchased a lieutenancy in the King's 8th Regiment of Foot on March 1, 1809.  He was still a lieutenant when removed from active service on June 24, 1815 and placed on half-pay (semi retirement) on March 25, 1816.  On February 28, 1824 he was reactivated as a lieutenant in the 1st Royal Veterans' Battalion and the following year transferred to the 34th Regiment.  He was again placed on half-pay on March 13, 1827, reactivated on March 12, 1829 as a Captain in the 65th Regiment and then transferred to the Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment on its formation on July 16, 1841.  In 1849 he went on half pay as a major and communted half pay in 1850.

So--he was a lieutenant, not a major in 1812 and was no where near Queenston Heights on October 13, 1812.  He arrived in Niagara in the Spring of 1813, fought at the Battle of Fort George on May 27, 1813 and was slightly wounded in the Battle of Stoney Creek on June 6. He does not show as being at Crysler's Farm and if he was he never applied for the Medal to which he would otherwise have been entitled.

Weyland's last entry in the Army List was in 1883. 

You have good reason to be proud of her ancestor--but he was not a major with Brock at Queenston Heights. 

I will see if I can find out where he was when he died and that might help track down his final resting place.

Ron Dale

Thank-you Ron for the information. Now I am aware that there are 2 John T Weyland's that were enlisted. One in which was married to an Elizabeth Fleming, and one in which was married to a Bessie Loretha Tinkham.

I am looking for the John Thorne Weyland mentioned in James E Elliot's Strange Fatality, who married Elizabeth Fleming.

Is there a chance these two are mixed up?

There was only one John Weyland who was an officer in either the British army or the Militia and that is the man listed above.  I can find no other John Weyland enlisted.  Do you know which regiment he served with?  There was no John Weyland at the Battle of Queenston Heights.

I will have a look at Elliot's book.  There are errors in this work and this may be another.

Ron

Ron

The Lieutenant John Thorne Weyland whose career in the army is outlined above is the same man who was wounded at the Battle of Stoney Creek while a Lieutenant in the 8th or Kings Regiment. 

The records of St Andrews Anglican Church in Quebec City show that Lieutenant John Thorn Weyland of the 8th Regiment, age 22,  married Elizabeth Fleming of Quebec City, age 17, on February 9, 1812.

Weyland remarried at some point to a younger woman.  The 1861 census for Kingston shows J. T. Weyland (as an officer in the Royal Canadian Rifles) with wife "E."  Weyland, age 47 years.  Bessie is short for Elizabeth.  So we know that he married twice.

Some of his children ended up in Marbleton, Quebec in the Eastern Townships and are buried in St Paul's cemetery there. Weyland's last posting, before the RCR was disbanded was in Kingston so he may have died there although I cannot find it in the Ontario death records.  I lean towards St Pauls cemetery in Marbleton.

My "Strange Fatality" is in my office.  What did Elliott say about Weyland?

Ron Dale

Confusion of Weylands!

The John Weyland of the King's 8th Regiment had a son John Weyland born ca 1820 who also received a commission in the Royal Canadian Rifles and was commissioned as a Lieutenant-Colonel at the time of the disbandment of the Regiment.  He died on December 15, 1901 and is buried in the Anglican Church in Marbleton.  So maybe it is this John Weyland junior who was married to Bessie Tinkham??

I note that Elizabeth Julia McLeod (nee Weyland) died in Stamford on June 13, 1896 in childbirth at the age of 45 and that she was born in Marbletown Quebec.  She had married William McLeod on June 20, 1893.  She was baptised on August 12, 1851 at the Marbleton, Quebec Anglican Church as Elizabeth Julia, daughter of Charles Weyland and Isabel Mewburn.  Julia was born on May 26, 1851.

You mentioned a daughter of John Thorne Weyland who died in Niagara Falls.  What was her name?

Ron

Is there any information on the Drummer boys? My 3 ancestors all joined up as drummer boys and then went on to fighting. Robert, James and Thomas Green joined up with on of the Irish regiments. All survived.

Robert also fought at 3 mile creek near Grimsby.

Hello Lise,

Drummers were normally older men, not boys although in some cases under-age boys were mustered in with the Corps of drums of a regiment if their fathers were soldiers in the regiment. Drummers are listed in quarterly pay lists and I have checked those of the 41st, 49th and the two battalions of the King's 8th regiment but have found David, Edward and William Green in the 41st as privates and private Thomas Green in the 49th. When you mention the 3 mile creek near Gimsby do you mean the 40 Mile Creek in Grimsby or the 3 mile creek in Niagara?

If they fought at the engagement at the Forty just after the Battle of Stoney Creek, then they would have been enrolled in the 5th or 6th Lincoln militia regiments.  Do you know where they lived after retiring from the army?  Were they born in Ireland?  Any additional information would help track these men down as so far I cannot find them in any returns.

Ron Dale

RSS

A Regency Wonderland

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Celebrate Our Roots

Photo by Jean-Guy Pitre 

Let's Connect

Regional Travel Ideas

Shop 1812

Make A Regency Wonderland Shop at CafePress